This classic Indonesian Sate is from the island of Madura, where there are sate stands almost everywhere; the recipe may vary slightly from one region to another. The "warung" and other street stalls, often offer these mini skewers for about 1500 rps ( or slightly less than 2$) you have a portion with 3 skewers with 5 pieces (including a chunk of fat which is very appreciated by Indonesians), sauce and rice.
Ingredients for the sauce:
• 3 varieties of peanuts / nuts
• 3 cloves garlic
• 3 shallots
• A frying oil
Ingredients for the brochettes:
• Chicken Cutlets
• Peanut oil
• Ketcap manis (sweet soy sauce)
• Soy sauce
• 15 shallots
• Red Pepper
• You will need a barbecue
• Brochette wooden skewers
1) In a wok, fry separately the three kinds of peanuts / nuts until they are a nice brown color. You can use the same frying oil.
2) Also in the wok, fry the garlic and shallots. Previously cut in the longitudinal direction.
3) Pour the peanuts / nuts, garlic and shallot in a blender, and blend. If you want to do as in Indonesia you can use the mortar and pestle, but it will take much longer ...
4) To the resulting powder, add water and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes.
5) Meanwhile, cut remaining green onions into strips and fry in oil bath, they will trim just before serving.
6) Cut the chicken skewers and sew.
v 6) Collect the oil in the peanut paste, add several tablespoons of Kecap manis and soy sauce
7) Soak your skewers in the marinade
8) Begin cooking on the grill once they have acquired a nice yellow shade, remove them and baste them with the marinade, repeat the cooking until the color changes to dark brown.
Just before serving: Add 2 tablespoons of Kecap manis to mashed peanuts (it must take a darker shade) and cut the pepper into small pieces. Arrange the skewers on the sauce, sprinkle with fried shallots. Serve with rice as side dish...