This recipe describes how to make the Sate Kambing Tegal; not to be confused with the Sate Tegal, a beef tripe satay (quite different!). The Kambing Satay is made with goat meat, or lamb. In Indonesia the meat chosen for this dish has to come from a young animal to make sure the meat is very tender. Tegal is served with a sauce (Sambal Kecap) made with sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis), chili sauce, onions and green tomatoes. In Tegal restaurants this sate sold by 20 skewers per plate!
Ingredients for the Sate Kambing Tegal (4 guests):
* 1 lb. of lamb meat, cubed
* 1/2 lb goat liver
* Some lamb fat
* 2 tablespoons cooking oil
* 3 tablespoons Kecap Manis Indonesian soy sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
* wooden skewers, previously soaked in water
Sambal Kecap Sauce Ingredients
* 1 red tomato
* 9 cayenne peppers
* 5 stalks green onions or shallots
* 6 tablespoons "Kecap Manis" Indonesian soy sauce
* 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Procedure to make Sate Kambing Tegal:
1) Cut the meat, liver and fat lamb in 3/4 inch cubes. Set aside.
2) Wash the meat thoroughly, drain. Put the meat on skewers, alternating between cubes of lamb, goat liver and fat. Repeat the operation until all the skewers.
3) Mix the oil, soy sauce and pepper powder in the container and stir well. Brush the skewers with a smear of oil and soy sauce until blended. Set aside.
4) Make the special soy sauce to accompany this dish: Clean and seed the tomatoes, coarsely chop it down. Chop the chili peppers very finely, slice the green onions. Using a blender, liquefy these ingredients, also adding the Kecap Manis and lemon juice. Pour in a bowl to be served with the Satay.
5) Prepare your grill (preferably charcoal barbecue is possible). Grease a wire grill with cooking oil, place the skewers on it. Grill the skewers while inverted and spread with a mixture of oil and Kecap Manis until cooked. Take out and reserve.
Serve your Kambing Tegal skewers...