Satay Daging is a traditional Malay and Indonesian Satay dish, for a satay with beef that is first marinated then grilled and served with a peanut sauce. Here it is important to use a good tender steak cut as these beef cubes won’t be stewed and thus the collagens of the meat will not have time to deteriorate with such quick cooking times.
Ingredients for the Sate Daging (4-6 guests):
* 3 lb. [1.50 kg] of beef, use a good steak cut
* 200 grams santen
* 6 clove garlic
* 4 tablespoons Kecap Manis sauce
* 4 pieces onion
* 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
* 2 and 1/2 tablespoon sambal terasi (shrimp paste)
* 2 tablespoons sugar
For the peanut sauce:
* 2 tablespoon oil
* 100 grams of Santen or coconut cream
* 12 tablespoons peanut butter
* 2 cloves garlic
* 2 teaspoons djahé or powdered ginger
* 2 tablespoons oil
* 2 teaspoons cumin
* 1 lemon
* 1 teaspoon lemon grass (powder)
* 1 piece onion
* zest from 1 lemon
* Salt to taste
Procedure to make Satay Daging:
1) The daging satay marinade: slice the meat in cubes approximately 1 inch by 1.5 inch. Peel onion and chop finely. In a bowl, add the powdered ginger; peel the garlic and press it in. Add the Lemon zest, lemongrass powder, coriander, cumin, salt, coconut cream and 1 cup of water and mix.
2) Put the meat cubes in and toss to coat. Cover the bowl with the Meat and put in the refrigerator at least 3 hours to marinate, occasionally taking it out and mixing. Put the skewers you will be using in a bowl of water for at least 30 minutes before using them.
3) Skewer the beef cubes on the skewers and put them on a plate. To use covered in refrigerator.
4) Preparing the peanut sauce: squeeze the lemon. Peel the onion and chop finely. Heat oil in a skillet, then fry the onion about 3 minutes. Peel the garlic cloves and press them in; fry 2 more minutes. Put the shrimp paste sambal terasi. Pour 2 cups of water in and add ginger powder, stirring to a boil. Stir in the peanut butter, Kecap Manis and add brown sugar. Continue stirring until you get a thick smooth sauce. Stir in lemon juice. Season with salt. Allow to cool down and if you won’t be serving it immediately put in refrigerator, covered.
5) Preheat grill to highest setting. Grill satay on the grill, basting with remaining oil, grill approximately 6 to 8 minutes until the meat has browned, turning the skewers about halfway.
Meanwhile heat back the peanut sauce, stirring over low heat heating. (If sauce is too thick it may be slightly diluted with water.) Sauce over again in 2 bowls. Satay on dish and serve immediately with the peanut sauce.