The Satay Lembu is a frequently encountered Satay at the Singapore food stands or even at fancier restaurants; basically this is a satay with beef steak meat and lemongrass.
Ingredients for the Satay Lembu (4 guests):
* 1 and 1/2 lb. beef steaks
* 1/2 cucumber
* 2 onions
* 3 stalks lemongrass
* 2 cloves garlic
* 5 shallots
* 2 small pieces Turmeric
* 1 small piece of Galangal
* 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
* 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
* 4 teaspoons salt
* 3/4 cup, roasted and ground peanuts
* Peanut oil
Procedure to make Satay Lembu as in Singapore:
1) Preparation: Slice the cucumber and onion. Book. Cut beef into 1 inch thick cubes. Finely chop the lemongrass, garlic, shallot, turmeric and galanga. Separate into two portions for the marinade and sauce. Place the cut meat in a bowl. Pour 1/2 tsp salt and 2 tablespoons of sugar and half the finely chopped ingredients. Mix well with cumin. Let stand 2 or 3 hours minimum.
2) Preparing the satay sauce: In a bowl, heat 3 cups of hot water, add the tamarind paste. Mix and let stand for 10 minutes; pour through a strainer to collect the juice. Pour 2 tablespoons peanut oil in a saucepan; pour the other portion of finely chopped ingredients and saute over low heat until you feel the fragrance of spices. Pour the remaining salt and sugar, peanuts and filtered tamarind juice. Fry at low heat for 20 minutes.
3) Cooking it: Place 4 pieces of sliced meat on each skewer; grill the skewers over charcoal or electric stove grill for 10-15 minutes. Arrange cucumbers and diced onions on one side of a rectangular plate. Place the Lembu skewers on the other side; sServe with the satay sauce.