The special Sate Buntel is a traditional Satay recipe from the City of Surakarta (also known as Solo), consists of minced lamb or goat meat, with an onion and pepper seasoning then the lamb skewers are wrapped with a goat fat membrane; I know this sounds unhealthy but this step is the whole point of the Buntel Sate! This indonesian Sate is served with a Sambal sauce, sliced green chilies, onions, cabbage and tomato slices.
Ingredients for the Sate Buntel (4-5 guests):
* 1 and 1/2 lb. Lamb meat, in cubes,
* 1/2 lb. Goat Fat membrane (from the butcher, any animal fat membrane available),
* 2 tablespoons butter
* Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour
* 3 tablespoons Onion powder,
* 3 cloves Garlic, pressed in
* 1 teaspoon Coriander, roasted then ground
* 1/2 teaspoon, Pepper,
* 1 teaspoon Tamarind juice,
* Salt, to taste
* 1 teaspoon Brown sugar
Sambal Sauce (Sambal Kecap):
* Cayenne pepper, 5 pieces, thinly sliced
* 5 small red Onions, thinly sliced
* Sweet soy sauce, 5 tablespoons
* 2 tablespoons indonesian Soy sauce or Kecap Manis,
* 2 Oranges, pressed for their juice
Procedure to make Sate Buntel:
1) Mix all ingredients for the Sambal sauce until you get a smooth sauce.
2) In a saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the ground spices until fragrant, remove from burner. Rub the lamb meat with ground spices. Mix until the meat is well coated with the spices. Marinate the meat in spices for 30 minutes.
3) Place the spiced lamb cubes on the skewers, repeat the operation until all meat is used.
4) Cut the fat membrane to squares of 2 inches by 2 inches. Wrap each skewer with the fat membranes.
5) Grill the skewers over barbecue / charcoal until thorougly cooked and browned. For this operation you will remain close to the barbecue and keep turning them so they cook uniformly.
6) Serve the satay skewers while warm, with the Sambal sauce we did first.