This is a recipe for the traditional filipino Satti recipe, from the city of Zamboanga.
Ingredients for the Satti (6-8 guests):
3 lb. Chicken – cut to bite-sized pieces to be put on a skewer (or your choice of meat)
* 1/2 cup coconut oil (can substitute for other oil if unavailable)
* 1/2 cup red chili peppers, finely chopped (or your favorite hot pepper)
* 4 tablespoon calamansi juice
* 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
* 1/4 cup minced ginger
* 2 freshly minced oregano leaves
* 1 cup coconut vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
* bamboo skewer sticks, soaked in water overnight
* 1 stalk lemon grass, tip crushed slightly, and in one end incisions made to turn it into a brush
* coconut charcoal (if possible)
* steamed, sticky rice
* spoon for scooping your rice
* banana leaf to form rice into balls, or squares
Procedure to make Satti:
1) Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a deep bowl, and make the chicken marinate for about 45 minutes in the refrigerator, remembering to mix chicken around in the marinade a few times during that time.
2) Once marinated, slide 5 pieces of chicken on every bamboo skewer, like a brochette.
3) Grill chicken skewers with the coconut charcoal (if possible), constantly basting the chicken or meat with the marinade mix, brushing with the lemon grass brush.
4) Flip the skewers, then continue grilling the chicken until cooked well done.
Serve with: Plate of pressed rice balls or squares, using the banana leaf, and vinegar/cayenne pepper sauce.
Also let's not forget some nice filipine San Miguel beer, perfect beverage for this meal!